Welcome to April!! I’m so excited for this month because in just a few days I’m going on Campus Preview Weekend at my college, then it’s April break, and then it’s two more weeks of school and then the month is over!! Plus, it means that spring should (I hope) finally be here to stay. If it snows again I think I’m going to go crazy. But anyways, enough about my personal life, and let’s get to bookish stuff
I grossly overestimated what I was going to read last month, so this time I’m keeping it simple. 5 books, 4 of which I’ve already started. That should *knock on wood* give me plenty of time to get through absolutely everything.
1. I plan on coming back to this one after I finish I’ll Give you the Sun. Since they’re both physical/kindle, I read them at the same times so I had to put one on hold. Sorry Philippa.
2. This is one of the most depressing books I’ve ever read so far. Jude and Noah’s lives are both shit and I’m just hoping that it’ll get better, ASAP. (but it’s a really good book I love it)3. This is a review copy, and so I’m trying to really get this done. I can’t get over how cute the main character of this book is. I love her.
4. This one’s another review copy, and I plan to start it after S&S is done. Everyone has been talking about how they either loved it or hated it and I’m nervous but excited so we’ll see!
5. I don’t actually know why I picked this to read, because it’s already terrible and I’m only 20 minutes in, but it was available immediately as a library audiobook and I was in the book for something less serious, and I enjoyed the movie, so here we go.
I also received a physical review copy of The Roanoke Girls, and an ebook of The Select, but I don’t think I’ll be able to get to those in the next month, so I’m leaving them off for now.
Releases I’m Excited For…
The Upside of Unrequited (April 11th)— This book looks super cute, and I’m 95% sure other people liked it when they received ARCs. It has diverse relationships, and in general seems to be a fun story about high school twins.
Goodreads Summary: Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful. Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. If Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back. There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker, Reid. He’s a chubby Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?
The Witchfinder’s Sister— A “literary historical thriller”. Holy shit. what could be better? my favorite genres combined in one!!! Sign me up!!! If anyone knows the best (cheapest or free) place to find a copy of this I need one!
Goodreads summary: Essex, England, 1645. With a heavy heart, Alice Hopkins returns to the small town she grew up in. Widowed, with child, and without prospects, she is forced to find refuge at the house of her younger brother, Matthew. In the five years she has been gone, the boy she knew has become a man of influence and wealth–but more has changed than merely his fortunes. Alice fears that even as the cruel burns of a childhood accident still mark his face, something terrible has scarred Matthew’s soul. There is a new darkness in the town, too–frightened whispers are stirring in the streets, and Alice’s blood runs cold with dread when she discovers that Matthew is a ruthless hunter of suspected witches. Torn between devotion to her brother and horror at what he’s become, Alice is desperate to intervene–and deathly afraid of the consequences. But as Matthew’s reign of terror spreads, Alice must choose between her safety and her soul. Alone and surrounded by suspicious eyes, Alice seeks out the fuel firing her brother’s brutal mission–and is drawn into the Hopkins family’s past. There she finds secrets nested within secrets: and at their heart, the poisonous truth. Only by putting her own life and liberty in peril can she defeat this darkest of evils–before more innocent women are forced to the gallows.
Inspired by the real-life story of notorious “Witchfinder General” Matthew Hopkins, Beth Underdown’s thrilling debut novel blends spellbinding history with harrowing storytelling for a truly haunting reading experience.
Spindle Fire (April 11th)— A Sleeping Beauty retelling with a badass female protagonist. This sounds awesome, and I can’t wait to read it!
Goodreads Summary: Half sisters Isabelle and Aurora are polar opposites: Isabelle is the king’s headstrong illegitimate daughter, whose sight was tithed by faeries; Aurora, beautiful and sheltered, was tithed her sense of touch and her voice on the same day. Despite their differences, the sisters have always been extremely close. And then everything changes, with a single drop of Aurora’s blood–and a sleep so deep it cannot be broken. As the faerie queen and her army of Vultures prepare to march, Isabelle must race to find a prince who can awaken her sister with the kiss of true love and seal their two kingdoms in an alliance against the queen. Isabelle crosses land and sea; unearthly, thorny vines rise up the palace walls; and whispers of revolt travel in the ashes on the wind. The kingdom falls to ruin under layers of snow. Meanwhile, Aurora wakes up in a strange and enchanted world, where a mysterious hunter may be the secret to her escape . . . or the reason for her to stay. Spindle Fire is the first book in a lush fantasy duology set in the dwindling, deliciously corrupt world of the fae and featuring two truly unforgettable heroines.
- Reach 250 Followers– I just hit 200 last month and I couldn’t be more excited!!!! I still can’t figure out just how 200 people decided that I have good enough content to want to read it all the time. It’s amazing. Also, it’s the reason I’m having a giveaway below. Make sure you enter if you haven’t already. But anyways, I digress. This month I’m hoping to get to 250, which is a lot, but it will put me at halfway to my goal of 500 for the end of the year, which I think will mean that I’m generally on schedule.
- Start Promoting Indie Authors– I’ve done some indie author promotion, and I accept their book review requests, but I don’t tend to read a lot of them, and I don’t normally do interviews and promotional stuff with them. I’m hoping to change that this month, and try to get more indie authors on the blog.
- Find another story to edit– I completed my first paid editing job last month!! It was so fun and I’d love another, especially for after April break. (aka starting the 17th)
- Start reading more blog posts– I haven’t been on my Reader enough lately, and so my commenting skills are lacking severely. I want to go back through and make sure that I am reading everyone’s blogs I love, and unfollow all of the ones that do not interest me.
- Not exactly a goal, but camp NaNo starts this month!! I’ll be updating you with my progress periodically 🙂
Have you Entered the Giveaway Yet?
Finally, the giveaway!!!! I mentioned this in my last post, but I’m saying it again for those of you who forgot: I’m at 200 followers and I’m thanking you all with a book giveaway!! Enter for a chance to win any book from my book review index that is under a $15 value on Amazon. Open wherever amazon ships (if shipping price is obscene, I may lower book price cap)
A Personal Favor…
I’m running for the Hood scholarship, because I desperately need money for college, and to win it I need votes. You can vote once a day, and I will love you forever if you go out and vote for me. I’m from CT and go to Bacon Academy. It only takes 2 minutes to cast your vote, so if you have a chance please please please go vote
Have you entered the giveaway? What April releases are you looking forward to? What is your April TBR? Do you have anything exciting happening this month? Comment!!!!!
Check out my Social Media:
~ Now venture out and change the world ~